One never knows exactly what to expect when you go on an interview. Anxiety builds as your mind wanders about the people you'll meet, the questions they will ask and the overall feel of the company. But there is one thing you can do to build confidence before you start the interview process and that is to be prepared. Preparation before every interview is an absolute must. So what does that exactly mean? Do a little research and role playing the night before and you will be on the right track to a successful interview. Here are a few tips:
1. Dress to impress. Stay away from colognes and perfumes. Keep hair groomed neatly. Be conservative with jewelry and make-up.
2. Bring a leather-bound notebook with a couple copies of your resume. Avoid spiral notebooks and manila envelopes.
3. Know exactly where the interview is going to take place. If you are unsure, take a test drive beforehand. Make a good first impression and get there at least 10 minutes early.
4. Meet every person with a firm handshake, eye contact and a smile. Begin to build rapport and get them to like you. You will feel more relaxed as the interview moves forward.
5. Be confident and speak with conviction. Who can better sell yourself than you?
6. Gather some facts about the company. Go to their website and be able to recite in your own words what they do and why you would want to work for them.
7. Know your own background and be able to tell "your story" in a way that is logical while creating excitement and relevancy to the position you are interviewing for.
8. Be able to articulate why you are the best person for the job. Remember in this market you will have competition. Set yourself apart.
9. Anticipate questions and objections. Sorry – but no candidate is perfect.
10. Have at least 10 questions prepared to ask. An interviewee with no questions does not convey much interest in the opportunity. Be inquisitive but not redundant.
11. Ask for the job! You will be surprised at how many people don't.
If you take time to prepare before your interview you will see how much of a difference it will make!