How to Hire Reliable Salespeople for Small and Medium Size Businesses?
Hiring salespeople for your business is easy. You only need to advertise job vacancies, and you will receive numerous applications. However, hiring the right and reliable candidate is the challenge. Most small and medium size business owners are limited by time when hiring these individuals. When a vacancy comes up, they are in a hurry to fill the opening. So, what can you do to hire the best for the position?
1. Envision your ideal candidate
Before you post a job vacancy, take time to visualize your ideal candidate. First, look at your current sales team and see what type of individual would add value to your team.
Here are things you need to consider:
- Is there a knowledge gap in your sales team that needs filling?
- What attributes should the new hire possess to fit the company’s culture?
- How much experience does the job level require?
- Do you need an individual that works alone or as a team player?
- How much money and time do you have to train the new hire?
These questions play a big role when you are trying to envision the type of person you need.
2. Write a job description that matches your ideal personal
A great job description explains how to do the job and its responsibilities. You need to make sure to include the following information:
- The service or product your company offers
- The kind of customers your sales reps will work with
- Specific job-related tasks
- What their salary potential will be
- Who the rep will report to
- How they will interact with other people on the team
One way to create the description is by interviewing and observing your top-performing salespeople.
3. Pick the right applicant.
After understanding what you are searching for, you can post the job and review the candidates. If unsure, you can observe your best salesperson and ask the right questions during an interview. Besides, there are several other qualities to consider, they include:
- Emotional intelligence
- Efficiency and persistence.
In most cases, you will get candidates that fit your ideal persona. However, it’s best to consider the ones that have most of these traits. This way, you are sure you will get the best for your business.
Finding a salesperson can be easy, but the best is a bit challenging. First, you must understand what you want and have a well-written job description. With this, you can get an individual that will perfectly fit your sales team and business.