Most people are on their best behavior when meeting with hiring managers during a job interview, but sometimes, interviewing applicants do things which are nothing short of bizarre. Executives were asked to recount the most embarrassing job interview moments they had heard about or witnessed themselves. Here are some of their strangest, embarrassing, amusing, and often unbelievable responses:
- One candidate sent his sister to interview in his place.
- One person was dancing during the interview. He kept saying things like, 'I love life!' and 'Oh yeah!
- A job applicant came in for an interview with a cockatoo on his shoulder.
- The candidate stopped the interview and asked if the interviewer had a cigarette.
- One group had a man who walked out of an interview into a glass door and the glass shattered.
It's helpful to do your homework before a job interview and truly understand the position, and the company you are interviewing with. Taking the time to do the right research is very important, and can really affect the outcome of your interview. Here are some examples of job seekers who would have benefited from more preparation:
- The candidate got his companies confused and repeatedly mentioned the strengths of a competing firm, thinking that's who he was interviewing with.
- A guy called the hiring manager by the wrong name during the entire interview.
- A prominent retail company asked their job candidate why she wanted to work for them, and she said she didn't want to work in retail anymore.
Most employers observe applicants' body language to better understand how friendly and hone